ONE MONTH IN SINGAPORE

My first blog post in Singapore. How should I start?

My working life. Working life was very bored for the first (maybe the second also) week. Due to the limited space in the company, I was dumped to the meeting room, alone. Its very comfortable but it is still weird to be alone in a room and knowing people passing by all the time and always looking at me. Work load was not heavy but I didn't know how to start, I felt my life was 'taken-off' because of those taking off and measurements, which I didnt learn much in uni. Wrong...something which was taught but I didnt bother to listen and understand. Most of the time, I REALLY DUNNO WHAT TO DO.

I remember the first time I was asked to call the sub-con to requote, this is so so embarrassing.... I was so well-prepared, I knew what I have to say, I picked up the phone and started dialing....

"Hello good morning, I'm Lai calling from Lum Chang Building Contractors"

"Huh, who's this"

"I'm from Lum Chang Building Contractors"

"I am from Lum Chang Buiding Contractors also"

At that moment, I dunno how on earth I heard "was" instead of "am"

She continued, "Which department are you from"

I replied, "I am a QS"

She replied, "I am also a QS, you called the company's number, whats your name?"

Oh my gosh! This is the silliest thing I've ever done on earth!

The best part is, I was transferred to the department where the lady is few hours after that. Haha...Welcome to the Contracts Department.....

Life is never the same after that...Working in the same department with people which 'at least I knew a little bit' is much much better. Working life is totally different than what I've imagined. High School is about text book, Uni is definitely about facebook, how bout working as a QS? Green Book....hahaha.

Thank God for good guidance from my project QS and my senior of course. They had been teaching me from the very basic I know. I know there's still a long long way to go but I'll continue to do my best-est. Thank God for good friends around.....and my '"senior project manager'" and "'project manager'"...

Life in Singapore is not as scary as what people used to tell me. I believe the best is yet to come. I believe God has a plan for me. I believe opportunity is given by yourself to yourself. Lots of stories about Malaysia here, I heard a lot... I don't wish to comment.

Am I homesick....hehe....I'm nearer to my hometown compared to KL.... just that there's this South China Sea. Waiting for the Singaporeans to re-claim the land all the way to Kuching....

Today is the first day of her working life. I dunno whether she is excited. She told me she 'dunno what the Dr. was talking about'. She just nodded her head. Hey I did the same too for my first week....hahaha...

Life here is much healthier compared to KL. Less of Piccadilly and MCD, no mamak life. Mamak cannot survive here... Oh ya....drinks cannot be refilled in MCD, something which I really feel weird. Life in NUS still not bad. I sleep very early every night to make sure I dont feel 'taken-off' the next day. Had been really lazy nowadays, keep giving excuses for sports, weekdays are spent in Geylang, for food, nothing else...

Staying with a monkey, sitting behind another monkey in office. This is my life - very interesting... =)

1 comments:

I'm happy to hear that you r so enjoy the life there..Good luck fren,waiting u come back here..see you..

June 8, 2010 at 3:42 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home